My first job after graduating from college was to be an Assistant Manager at Potbelly in downtown DC. The best part…..unlimited food for free as long as it was rung up ( who does that). As a 22 year old that looked a lot like 1 sandwich, 10 Diet Cokes and 5 dream bars during my 12 hour shifts. To this day, anytime I am near a Potbelly at the airport I have to make sure I get one of the addictive dream bars to take with me. They are buttery goodness that melt in your mouth, and thank goodness, cannot be found everywhere. Until now.
I have been craving them, and of course we have more than enough time to bake. so I started playing around and came up with a close match! You are welcome ( and I am sorry at the same time lol)
1 Cup Flour
1/2 Cup packed Brown Sugar
1/2 Cup cubed butter
1 Cup packed Brown Sugar
1 Tsp Vanilla
2 Tbs Flour
1/2 Tsp Salt
1 Cup Oats
1 Cup Chocolate Chips
- Heat oven to 350 degrees
- Place sugar, flour and butter in bowl and cut butter into the mix.
- Stop once the mixture becomes crumbly and can be pressed together with your fingers.
- Place on sheet pan and press down firmly to make crust. **Note- if you want more of a brittle texture, use a large cookie sheet. If you want a thicker and softer bar texture, use a smaller pan such as a 9×9.
- Place in the oven and let it bake for 10 minutes.
- While that bakes, take your eggs, sugar & vanilla and cream those together.
- Mix in flour and salt till smooth.
- Add in oats and chocolate chips and fold until mixed. Do not stir in so it looks like cookie dough.
- Remove crust from oven and place the mixture on top.
- Smooth on top being careful to not to pull up the crust from below.
- Place in the oven and cook for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
We serve them as squares and they last for a few days in an airtight container. You can change out the oats and chocolate chips for coconut or nuts if you want, but this is the closest version to the dream bars and super yummy! Check it out and let me know what you think!