One of the biggest things I hear when asking if someone wants to try to eat healthy in general is “ oh “insert random event here” is coming up, so maybe after that. This time of year, football/sports/holidays are never ending, and so are the excuses! With the Super Bowl just a few weeks away, I am here to share some delicious tailgate food that is clean and (earmuffs!) healthy!! The best part, even my kids eat them ALL so they must be good knock offs, right? Obviously you can’t do all of them at once and everything in moderation is key, but part of sticking to a lifestyle plan and overall change is to treat yourself once in a while. I have posted a few of my favorites here that should appease even the manliest tailgate goer and keep you and your guests happy and full before, during and after game time! Stay tuned for some more over the next 2 weeks leading up to game day.
BBQ Hummus Chicken Flatbread
1 Flatout Whole Grain Flatbread
½ Cup Diced Chicken
½ Cup Carmelized Onions & red/green peppers
2 Tbls Cup Cottage Cheese
2 Tblsp BBQ Hummus
1 Light Babybel Cheese disc
- Place oven on low broil
- Place Flatout on nonstick cookie sheet for prep
- Combine cottage cheese & hummus and spread across entire flatbread evenly
- Sprinkle chicken cubes and onions/peppers over the entire flatbread
- Slice Babybel cheese into 5/6 pieces and spread across top
- Place in oven for 2-3 minutes or until light brown ( I find that ovens vary a lot )
- Slice and enjoy!
7 Layer Dip
2/3 Cup Cottage Cheese
2/3 Cup Sour Cream
¼ Cup Cheese
¼ Cup Guacamole
½ Cup Chopped Lettuce
¼ Cup Chopped Tomatoes
¼ Cup chopped Scallions
1 Teaspoon “taco mix” ( recipe included)
- Put cottage cheese & 1 tsp taco mix into a small food processor or blender – mix until smooth
- Begin layering the ingredients into 2 separate servings ( I use a martini glass)
- Put half each of the ingredients into the cups in the following order: Taco dip, guacamole, plain nonfat greek yogurt, lettuce, tomatoes, cheese & scallions
Chips for the dip – take two 6 inch corn tortillas and slice into 8 triangles each. Spread on a tray and bake in an oven at 375 for 10-15 minute until they are crunchy.
Taco Seasoning ( for the 7 layer dip )
1 Tsp Cumin
1 Tsp Paprika
1 Tsp Chili Powder
1 Tsp Garlic Powder
½ Tsp Sea Salt
½ Tsp Black Pepper
- Mix and store in an air tight container.
As I mentioned, everyday I will be putting up a new recipe between now and Super Bowl so subscribe to get updates! Let me know which recipes you tried and what else you want to see me try to make healthy-“er”.
For the next recipe – Click here.